How to Run a Progressive & Collaborative ISP - Alfredo Lopez
- How to Run a Progressive & Collaborative ISP - Alfredo Lopez
more » « less
Alfredo Lopez, founder of May First/People Link (MF/PL), shares his experience running a progressive and collaborative ISP. at OpenITP Techno-Activism Third Monday at CUNY Graduate Center NYC on May 20, 2013
May First/People Link - https://mayfirst.org/ - is a membership-led and driven organization comprised of about 450 organizations and another 400 individuals making for a total of nearly 3,000 people in the organization. It is a politically progressive organization, democratically run, and organized in both the United States and Mexico
* Why you should care about what type of ISP you have
(Hint: They can see and share your online traffic)
* Why MF/PL was setup as a unique alternative Internet provider.
* How their infra-structure is different than most ISPs (support, server maintenance, and staffing) and why.
* How democracy works in MF/PL and the success and challenges they have had.
* The political challenges they face including lack of diversity in technology.
* How other movements, such as the Climate Change movement, interact and enrich the members of the collective.
OpenITP #TA3M: http://hacktivism.eventbrite.com/
Camera: Jennifer Baek
Video produced by Internet Society New York Chapter.
Webcast support: NYI http://nyi.net
|ISOC-NY added a video: How to Run a Progressive & Collaborative ISP - Alfredo Lopez|